Sunday, October 12, 2014

Paris Flea Market - Marche Aux Puces Saint-Ouen




Paris was rainy and gray last Sunday, the day my cousins and I went shopping at the Marche Aux Puces Saint-Ouen. This famous Paris landmark clams to be the largest flea market in the world. Established in 1870, it consists of 2,500 stalls in various buildings over a sprawling area east of Paris.



I have been wanting to go to this flea market, but my husband hates shopping and I never had the guts to find it by mysef. Since my cousins, Manny Gonzalez, Chickie Feraren and Celine Conejos, were going shopping there, I joined them.


I have never seen any larger and I've visited flea markets in other countries including La Lagonilla in Mexico. There were buildings filled with stalls, a whole community of antiques, books, furniture, jewelry, silverware, chanderliers and eclectic items, There were also vendors selling inexpensive shoes, clothes, things that people need daily.


We looked and shopped, and broke for lunch in a small restaurant in the midst ot the flea market, where we had delicious Iberian pork, fish and chips, European hamburger using veal, and ceasar salad.  After lunch, we shopped some more until our feet were really tired, five hours later.

We bought some items, although overall I did not think the prices were that great. However, because of the sheer size of the flea market, you can find all sorts of things.



After the flea market expedition, I caught the 6:30 p.m. Mass at the Notre Dame, a wonderful experience which ended wth the singing of Salve Regina. A perfect topping to a perfect day.

As I write this, it's Monday and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful city.

Read also

Tags: #ParisFrance, Paris, France, vacation, travel, holiday, flea market, shopping, antiques

This is all for now,


No comments: